Wednesday, November 02, 2005

CHANGING FACES by Lynda E Blake

It was Tom’s idea. I pulled a face and resisted, but gradually he won me round. I knew he was right; we needed to spend more time together. Lately it was always work, the kids, or something…

We arrived before most people, but at least we found the best spot for the bonfire. And as I stared down at the jumbled pile of wood watching how it struggled for life, I realised how much it was like Tom and me. Just like the fire we were struggling to survive: struggling to find the missing spark that would re-ignite our relationship.

Shivering I realised that just as our layers of clothes couldn’t quite keep out the cold night air, the layers of life we placed around us couldn’t quite keep away the chill from our hearts.

As the flames grew and the people gathered, the shadows making patterns on their faces in the darkness, Tom took my hand. Suddenly I was so aware of his closeness. There was just the bonfire and Tom.

At first I hardly noticed the fireworks, until Tom whispered in my ear, “I love you.” So he’d felt it too?

The world around me erupted into a cascade of colourful light and laughter. Suddenly I knew we’d rekindled the fire. Our faces said it all…

THE END

© Lynda E. Blake 2005


When Lynda Blake was fourteen she had a devastating cycling accident, but far from this ruining her life she has since earned many Home Study certificates, and a BSc Honours degree with the Open University.

Her joy in writing is a reminder that anything is possible if we want it badly enough.

[Lynda is visually impaired and does the email-only WL course at
www.writing-in-a-nutshell.net/ using a screenreader called ‘Jaws’. You can contact her on lynda@lyndab.freeserve.co.uk because she can’t easily get to the message board, as Jaws doesn’t seem to like it. ]

No comments: