Wednesday, October 05, 2005

TOMORROW


by Alex Porter

Tomorrow, I am going to be better than today. Yep, much better. For a start, I can promise to be gentle again, for if I do not become gentle again then what am I for?

Tomorrow, yes tomorrow, when the slipping clock fails to hold it's balance and time wins out again - in those new hours I will try, try again, to be more than I was before.

Don't get me wrong; I don't go for all that 'first day of the rest of your life' bollocks. There are no new starts. It's a process, a story, a growing thing. Avoid notions of nothing or everything that's what I say. I won't grit my teeth, privilege stamina over everything else or serve disappointment by making resolutions that I cannot fulfil. No, just better, that's all.

Tomorrow - if I become gentler again - it's because I will have stilled myself enough to hear the deeper note.

© Alex Porter 2005