Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Excerpts from the Message Board

Leith Richards: "Old Man And The Sea" was my introduction to Ernest Hemmingway. I fell in love with him and vowed I would write like him! His death was a real let down. I'm going to find this novel and read it again.

Alex Porter: I don't have a book that I would place above all others but here are some of my favourites.

Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. A Fine balance by Rohinton Mistry. Beloved by Toni Morrison. The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. Hard Times by Dickens. Cold Mountain by Charles Frasier (I think that's his name) and the short stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer. Steinbeck is probably my favourite writer. I love the characters in his books and the way he makes small lives appear to transcend their limits. He is , for me, a deeply warm and humane writer.

Colm: One of my favourite books is: 'Four Quarters of Light' by Brian Keenan.

Bernie: I started reading Turlough by Brian Keenan but found it awfully overwritten. Quite a disappointment although nothing, nothing will ever surpass his 'An Evil Cradling'. Alex has reminded me to get a copy of The Grapes of Wrath but somehow I don't think I'll have time to read it before it's due back at the library. C'est la vie!

Colm: I am close to finishing 'Turlough,' and I have to admit that I scanned through it. I agree with Bernie that it was overwritten. I feel as though Brian Keenan wrote the story for himself, and therefore I believe that it should never have been published. The characters seem as thin as the paper. 'Four Quarters of Light': I found it interesting and spiritual, as I always feel when I am thinking about Barren, extreme places.
I've read many Stephen King books, and the last one I read was 'IT'. What I didn't like about it was the way King - again in my opinion - throws himself into the main character, which made me the reader feel that the sole reason for that character's existence was for the writer's psychological ego.
I brought about ten novels to South Korea with me; I don't even have much clothes here because I sacrificed my hang-luggage with a rugsack full of books. All I have left to read are two Jeffrey Archer novels.
Next on my shopping list are:
- 'Old Man of the Sea'
- 'Animal Farm' And some more classics.