Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Book Review: Now I Can Tell It

Book Review: I bought a copy of the book Now I Can Tell It, in sketches and words, by Cyril Hamersma. As most students will know this book is about Bernie’s father and his experiences as a prisoner in Stalag VIIIB. I have only ever met the son of a P.O.W. before and he had a very different story. The reason I want to write about the book is the way I was moved by not only the story, but also the artwork. He was obviously a very talented man. Can you imagine living in conditions beyond belief and the man wanted to express himself in art and words? I read the book on Saturday morning and I have it on my coffee table, I find myself looking at his artwork throughout the days that have since passed. I love art and having attended art classes and dabbled a little myself, I realise how hard it can be, and this is what I keep coming back to. A man in such conditions is driven to sketch and draw the limited things he has before him, but in his eyes they are not limited. I often say I don’t know what to draw; maybe I’m spoilt for choice. Cyril Hamersma projects life forms and conditions onto paper that have made me feel the suffering he and the other prisoners had to endure. His work cannot be described as in the style of impressionism it evokes too much emotion. He has a unique style of his own. It’s a shame we have to label any work that we do nowadays either in writing or art, I obviously see the need, but Cyril’s art is from his soul and it screams out from the paper. Be that, his fascination of a famous world landmark or a fellow prisoner in chains the observer certainly gets the message. Thank you Bernie for sharing your Dad’s story. Barbara A. Rope

1 comment:

The Writing Life Playground said...

A big THANK YOU, Barbara. You cannot know how much it means to me to read a spontaneous 'book review' - so complimentary to him too - about something that's been so close to me for so long that I was blind to it in the end.

Bernie