Monday, March 06, 2006

Some gems from the archives



When you run an evening class you’re constantly looking out for different ways of saying what needs to be said. For years I had ‘document wallets’ full of cuttings and notes to myself of things that might be useful; and in my recent paperwork purge I whittled them down to a few unusual pieces worth airing. The rest are so firmly entrenched in my brain that I churn them out daily on demand and I was able to shred the original written evidence.

Vignette

In her hand she held a crumpled piece of paper. She folded it and unfolded it, absently; as if doodling with her fingers. It was something physical to occupy her while her brain coped with all she heard and saw.

She opened it again again and looked at it. “Well,” she said. “No I won’t read it!”

There was encouragement. “Come on. You know us,” said someone, gently.

“Nope. Nope. It’s not fit to read out. It’s no good. I can’t. I can’t read it.”

“Well shall I read it for you?” said somebody else.

“No. Nope. Nobody’s going to read it.

“She folded it again and then screwed it in her hands. The conversation drifted elsewhere. Somebody had something more important to say.

The ball of paper remained in her hand, soft with sweat from her palms.

And soon there was a vacancy in time. A gap waiting to be filled.

“Well alright then,” she said without any prompting. “Perhaps I will. Perhaps I’ll read it.”

She unfolded the paper from her hand. “ I have to warn you though. It’s . . . not very good.”

People made warm encouraging noises, careful of where to tread, lest overpowering encouragement should boost up too much expectation; yet fearing that not enough could result in her screwing it up again into a tiny crumpled ball.

“As I said. It’s not very good. It’s just something I wrote. Long time ago.”

They waited.

“It’s called . . . ”

[She did read it, it was OK. I don’t remember the content.]

This little vignette is a raw observation: I wrote it so as to remember the nuances. It shows why I understand the need for Writing Life® to be entirely confidential and by correspondence; and it was probably instrumental in formulating my determination to pursue the course as we know it.

© Bernie Ross 2006

Notes from I don’t know where - but rather useful anyway

In a good story –
  • There must be something at stake.
  • The process of getting it must be suspended.
  • Read any good book for examples.
  • Ask powerful questions.
  • The writing should be the equivalent of a camera that also records sounds and atmosphere. (Does a camera have opinions? I think not!)
  • Write it backwards – how can the clues slip out?

No comments: